Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

mom with epilepsy. can i be her inhome caregiver and get assistance or paid housing?

Sun, 01/28/2018 - 05:48
my mom has had epilepsy since she was a toddler. im 24 now and she has been in a nursing home since i was 18.. I was there for her at a young age. my parents got divorced and i became protective of her. i got expelled from 2 schools because i didnt want her to be alone incase she fell. she always told me "i may have epilepsy but im not stupid" and she also told me throughout my life that she didnt want my family to a nursing home. well my grandmother got sick and died so she had nowhere to go so they began looking for a nursing home for my mom and i fought with them and threatened them like a 18 yo would but i i had no control and was in no position to help so they sent her to one. i cant see her as much as i want and when i do see her it makes me empty inside i love her more then i love anything in the world. a few days ago i had an idea which was to be her caregiver. i was wondering if i could be paid to be her in home caregiver. she needs an inhome 24/7 caregiver because she has seizures daily. does anyone know of government assistance with paid housing or assistance etc.? please help!- jimmy


you might be able to get more

Submitted by just_joe on Wed, 2018-01-31 - 12:03
you might be able to get more information by calling the 24/7 help line. That number is 1-800-332-1000

Depending upon which state

Submitted by Jsy1021 on Fri, 2018-10-19 - 13:13
Depending upon which state you live in, there may be Adult Foster/Family Care Programs that would compensate you for caring for your mother at home. 

Sign Up for Emails

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.