Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Left Temporal Lobectomy this week 2/16/07

Sun, 02/11/2007 - 00:50
Hi everyone, I'm scheduled to have a LTL this Friday, 2/16, and am wondering how mobile you all were after coming home. I'm having it done at UCSF, and was told I would probably leave by Monday or Tuesday. I have two boys, 3 and 5, and I'm going to have to make a conscious and concerted effort not to pick them up and do the things I normally do for them, but who knows how that will work out? For those of you who've had the surgery, how mobile were you, were you sleeping most of the time the weeks following the surgery, how bad is the pain, how out of it did you feel, could you eat at all? Also, what is the prep work before the surgery like? Invasive, uncomfortable, etc? I'm anxious and excited about the surgery - mostly anxious, but it is encouraging to see how many of you've pulled through it! Thanks for sharing your stories! fms

Comments

Re: Left Temporal Lobectomy this week 2/16/07

Submitted by RTL on Sun, 2007-02-11 - 19:27
I had an RTL 4 years ago. My pre and post-op experiences are outlined at the following link: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/kkehoe/epilepsy/main.html Can't help you with the kids, but I do talk about a few of the things you're wondering about. Kevin

Re: Re: Left Temporal Lobectomy this week 2/16/07

Submitted by fms3637 on Mon, 2007-02-12 - 01:44
Thanks, Kevin. Your site is very comprehensive and informative. Sounds like you've been through a lot, but I'm really happy for you that you've been seizure free these few years and are functioning well in the workplace and otherwise. One question - why the EEG leads? Did the doctors take them out before the surgery?

Re: Re: Re: Left Temporal Lobectomy this week 2/16/07

Submitted by RTL on Mon, 2007-02-12 - 20:17
Which EEG leads? The ones they glued on me the night before the operation? I assume they just wanted to keep an eye on things, kinda like a heart monitor during a stress test. The operated on the right side, and the leads were all on the left, so they weren't in the way.

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.