Chat and Community Forums Closed

Due to the popularity of social media, we have seen decreasing engagement on our forums and chat. Please know we want to keep talking to you about epilepsy, seizures, and what you need. We want to stay connected with you.

Community Forum

Left Temporal Lobectomy this week 2/16/07

Hi everyone, I'm scheduled to have a LTL this Friday, 2/16, and am wondering how mobile you all were after coming home. I'm having it done at UCSF, and was told I would probably leave by Monday or Tuesday. I have two boys, 3 and 5, and I'm going to have to make a conscious and concerted effort not to pick them up and do the things I normally do for them, but who knows how that will work out? For those of you who've had the surgery, how mobile were you, were you sleeping most of the time the weeks following the surgery, how bad is the pain, how out of it did you feel, could you eat at all? Also, what is the prep work before the surgery like? Invasive, uncomfortable, etc? I'm anxious and excited about the surgery - mostly anxious, but it is encouraging to see how many of you've pulled through it! Thanks for sharing your stories! fms

Comments

Re: Left Temporal Lobectomy this week 2/16/07

I had an RTL 4 years ago. My pre and post-op experiences are outlined at the following link:

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/kkehoe/epilepsy/main.html

Can't help you with the kids, but I do talk about a few of the things you're wondering about.

Kevin

Re: Re: Left Temporal Lobectomy this week 2/16/07

Thanks, Kevin. Your site is very comprehensive and informative. Sounds like you've been through a lot, but I'm really happy for you that you've been seizure free these few years and are functioning well in the workplace and otherwise.

One question - why the EEG leads? Did the doctors take them out before the surgery?

Re: Re: Re: Left Temporal Lobectomy this week 2/16/07

Which EEG leads? The ones they glued on me the night before the operation? I assume they just wanted to keep an eye on things, kinda like a heart monitor during a stress test. The operated on the right side, and the leads were all on the left, so they weren't in the way.

for what it's worth, I had an ltl on january 11th at ucsd. it was a thursday morning and by the late afternoon I was walking around my icu room a little bit, the next morning I walked downstairs to get an mri (and all around the rest of the icu and recovery area driving the nurses crazy), and then was released on saturday morning.

I'm 39 years old and play in an adult baseball league, and two weeks after the surgery I went to a team practice to play catch and hit infield to the team. this past saturday I played in a real game of hardball baseball. you've got to love the advances of modern medical technology!

on the down side, for the first week after the surgery I was very worn out and had pretty much no appetite. I'm pretty sure you've heard about how part of the incision is through your jaw muscle, yes? well, I don't know about anyone else, but I still can't open my mouth all the way in order to take a bite out of anything large.

I've also got a couple of young ones (6 and 4), and they handled it much better than their mom--I haven't had any trouble at all picking them up or doing anything around the house. it was just a bit tough bending over for a day or so.

I'd wish you good luck, but I'm certain everything will be great! (and wouldn't it be better to send the wishes to the surgeon anyway?)

artist

Our Mission

The mission of the Epilepsy Foundation is to lead the fight to overcome the challenges of living with epilepsy and to accelerate therapies to stop seizures, find cures, and save lives.

24/7 helpline
P