Chat and Community Forums Closed

Due to the popularity of social media, we have seen decreasing engagement on our forums and chat. Please know we want to keep talking to you about epilepsy, seizures, and what you need. We want to stay connected with you.

Community Forum

response to surgery

First of all, hello to all of you. This is my first post to this site. I have always tried to deny my epilepsy since my seizures were nocturnal. However, last year I had began to have them during the daytime. I am going in to be tested to see if I am a candidate for surgery (left temporal lembotamy) on Feb. 6. My mother came up with the idea to get results from people who have had this procedure done. So, here I am hoping to get some insight of what life is like after the surgery. It would help me as a guide to what I can expect if everything goes well. Thank you...Julie


Re: response to surgery

I began testing in Sept.05 to see where the focus of my seizures were. I was in the Hospital for about four days. While I was there I was on 24hr monitoring by eeg. I also had bloodwork and Mri and Cat scans done. The had to remove me from some of the medications because I was not having any seizures. Then they started and they were able to receive all the information needed. I left the hospital and waited for test results. It was confirmed that the left temporal lobe was the focus of my seizures. The next step in the process was a WADA test. With this test the Drs. first put to sleep the right side of my brain while asking me to count, being able to place thumb and each finger together without getting confused. Then they showed me pictures and I was to tell them what they were. From this test the Dr. said that 2.5-3cm could be removed without there being any problem with memory or speech. This just a little insite on my next part of the story. If you are interested please reply!


Re: Re: response to surgery

Hi Cheryl,
I went through all the testing last year between April and August and am finally getting to meet with my neurologist and neurosurgeon on Thursday of this week regarding the surgery. The only test I haven't had yet and am scheduled for in two weeks is the WADA. Everything I read about it sounds painful. How was it for you and how long were you out as far as not being able to get up and around. I am in GA (USA)
Thanks ;-)

Re: response to surgery

julie i'm responding to your concern of what it is like after having surgery. well it was back in january of 2002 i had a right temporalobectomy. you will be amazed how everything turns out and how well and quickley you'll recover from the sugery. just think positive don't worry. since i had my operation i have been seizure free!!! but i know everything will be ok!! so i hope this input from me will help you with the positive attitude you'll need to get through this. and another thing .... just to amuze you a little!my operation just so happened to be done on my birthday!!! so i had the nurses , the anostheisiaologist sang happy birthday to me and then before he put me under ,he asked me to remember his name if i could when i woke up after the operation. the nurses asked if there was anything they could do , i said i would like to see my parents and would also like to talk to dr. sheeva ... i remembered the dr.'s name and beleive it or not they actually allowed me to go home after 3 days of recovering. it's that easy so i hope...and it it will be ok!!!! so good luck your buddy JOHNNY

Re: Re: response to surgery


Re: response to surgery

Hi Julie,

Recovery for everyone is a little different. A lot of that depends of the amount of brain removed. I was suppose to be out of the hospital in three days, but my recovery had a little hiccup. Because of the amount of brain removed and the area that it was my ability to walk was hampered a bit. I spent five days in the hospital then 17 days at a hospital rehab. There I had to learn to walk and regain some of my speech. My right leg acted as if it had, had a stroke. We new it was only the brain looking for new pathways to tell your body what and how to do things. My memory was hampered a little at first. There again looking for a new way to open all the files you hidden in the brain. I never felt that any memory was removed along with the brain.
Like I said it had only been 6 months and I have been at work since the first week of Aug. The type of work I do I needed to stay away a little longer than most. I work as a Vet Tec. where we are always on the run to do something, just like a human hospital. I couldn't take the chance of getting hit in the head by a crazy dog!

Something I think all of us will will agree on is the ability to open your mouth is restricted. For me that lasted for about 4 mon. until I could get full range.

The surgery site NO PAIN!! No headache yet! No seizures! This is the real kikker. Because my body wasn't always wanting to be fed because of an upcomming 3 days of seizures I lost 12 pounds.

Thank you so much for

Thank you so much for sharing both of your experiences, cheryl and Johnny. I like to see that overall there are positive outcomes. When I say brain surgery, it is quite terrifying yet very exciting at the same time.

Julie in OR

Re: response to surgery


I had this surgery (right side) 4 years ago, and have outlined my experiences here:

Have a look and feel free to ask any questions.


Our Mission

The mission of the Epilepsy Foundation is to lead the fight to overcome the challenges of living with epilepsy and to accelerate therapies to stop seizures, find cures, and save lives.

24/7 helpline