• A person who suspects a problem should go to a primary care doctor (pediatrician, internist, or family physician) first for evaluation. The primary care doctor may run some tests.
  • If the doctor suspects seizures, the person probably will be referred to a neurologist, a doctor with special training in disorders of the brain, including epilepsy.
  • Some neurologists have specific training in epilepsy and spend most of their time treating people with this disorder; they are called epileptologists. For routine treatment of epilepsy, it is usually not necessary to see an epileptologist. A consultation may be needed in certain circumstances, such as counseling about pregnancy and childbirth and when seizures are not controlled. 
  • A person who has a seizure may be taken by ambulance to the Emergency Room. There they are seen by an emergency physician, or possibly a neurologist, and will be referred to a neurologist for follow-up.


Authored By: 
Carl W. Bazil MD, PhD
Joseph I. Sirven MD
Reviewed By: 
Joseph I. Sirven MD
Patty Obsorne Shafer RN, MN
Thursday, August 22, 2013