camp group

There are many different camping experiences to consider for children and teens with seizures. Most are co-ed, meaning that both boys and girls attend the camp. Boys and girls are separated during sleeping hours, but generally other activities are offered to both groups together.

Epilepsy Exclusive Camps

These camps are only for children with epilepsy. If your child has frequent seizures or additional diagnosis such as ADHD, learning issues, developmental delay, epilepsy-exclusive camps are the best choices. The main advantage of these camps is the medical supervision. These camps are staffed with doctors and nurses who know about seizures. Camp counselors also receive basic training in seizure safety. Another advantage is that children and teens with seizures find themselves in a situation where the child or teen can meet and interact with others who have seizures and realize they are not alone. Check our list of Epilepsy Camps associated with Epilepsy Foundation affiliates. Contact your local affiliate to learn about camp scholarships too!

I learned that – yes, it hits all different types of people and we are still happy people… It was neat being with people like me! 
-Ashlyn, Age 9

Mainstream Epilepsy Camps

Epilepsy camp sessions may be held at regular summer camps during specific times of the summer. Some of the campers have epilepsy, but many do not. The advantage of these camps is that campers with epilepsy get to meet and interact with others who have epilepsy, yet they also meet kids and teens without seizures. Medical supervision is usually available by a 24-hour nurse with a neurologist on call and camp counselors who have received basic training in seizure safety. These camps can vary greatly so it’s important to check each one out carefully.

Camps for Those with Disabilities

These camps often accept children and teens with epilepsy, but also accommodate children with other disabilities, like severe asthma, neurological disorders, and mobility problems. This option may be best for children with many special needs or frequent seizures that require very close medical attention, or who need special accommodations for mobility.

What to do?

  • Talk to the doctor and nurse who care for your child for their recommendations about the type of camp.
  • Talk to camp directors and set up a time to visit the camps being considered.
  • The final decision is up to you and your child, but you will also need appropriate medical forms signed by your child’s doctor. So, make sure that everyone agrees with the final camp choice.
Authored By: 
Steven C Schachter, MD | Patricia O. Shafer RN MN
Reviewed By: 
Patricia Dean ARNP, MSN
Wednesday, March 14, 2018