epilepsy specialist holding purple ribbon

It's a Team Effort!

Treating seizures successfully requires a team effort between you, your family, and your health care team.

  • For some people, seizures may be easy to diagnose and control. While primary care doctors may be the first type of doctor seen, neurologists or physicians who care for people with neurological disorders should be consulted.
  • When seizures are difficult to diagnose or do not respond to standard therapy, a neurologist who specializes in epilepsy, called an epileptologist, should be consulted. The epileptologist may be found in different locations: hospitals, group or private practices, academic teaching hospitals, or specialized epilepsy centers.

How can I find a doctor who specializes in epilepsy?

The Epilepsy Foundation is working together with the American Epilepsy Society (AES) to give you a searchable database of physicians who are epileptologists or specialize in some way in the care or research of people with epilepsy. While most epileptologists are members of AES, a professional organization of health care professionals interested in epilepsy, this database in not inclusive of all epileptologists or specialists.


Please Note: This list includes all active members of the American Epilepsy Society, which includes health care professionals who are in clinical practice and have agreed to share their information, as well as other non-health care professionals interested in the field of epilepsy.

How can I find an epilepsy center?

An epilepsy center is a group of health care professionals who specialize in the diagnosis, care, and treatment of people with seizures and epilepsy. Usually led by an epileptologist (a neurologist specializing in epilepsy), the specialized center should also include other health care professionals to meet the diverse needs of people with seizures and their families.

Find an epilepsy center by searching the database of members of the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC), a group dedicated to promoting a team approach to epilepsy care.


Where can I find other health care professionals in epilepsy care?

  • Epilepsy centers listed with the NAEC should provide access to nurses, social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, pharmacists, EEG technologists, and more. Find a center near you and talk to the epilepsy doctor about their programs and services. While not all centers will have the full range of specialty care, they can likely refer you to resources in your area.
  • Visit AES to find non-physician epilepsy specialists and researchers.
  • The Veterans Affairs (VA) Epilepsy Centers of Excellence (ECoE) are specialty care centers located at 16 sites across the VA health care system and organized into four regional centers. Its mission is to improve the health and well-being of veterans with epilepsy and other seizure disorders through the integration of clinical care, outreach, research, and education. If you or someone you know is a veteran with seizures, talk with your health care provider about whether you might benefit from the services at an ECoE and about assistance with scheduling an appointment. For more information, please email ECoE@va.gov or visit the VA epilepsy website at www.epilepsy.va.gov.
  • Find a list of international ketogenic diet centers compiled by the International League Against Epilepsy here.

Editor's Note: The Epilepsy Foundation does not recommend or endorse individual physicians, specialized epilepsy centers, or other health care professionals. The Epilepsy Foundation is not responsible for the qualifications of the health care professionals listed and is not liable for actions resulting from the use of these search tools.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018