Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

left temporal lobectomy being done in June 2006

Wed, 05/10/2006 - 09:46
Well, I am new to this site. I am going to have left temporal lobectomy done in June of 2006. I can't wait! (I must be crazy or something!lol) I was diagnosed thirteen years ago and have approximately 3 to 4 seizures a week. My seizures are what they call musicogenic so wherever there is music playing, I usually have a seizure while I am there. This is very frustrating for me because nowadays, there is music EVERYWHERE! Well, I do what I can and wear earplugs in these situations but unfortunately that doesn't always work. I have been on numerous medications but haven't had any success with that. My doctors are very positive about the outcome of the surgery and my neurologist thinks that I will be able to come right off of my meds afterwards. I am lucky because my speech has been found to be in the right hemisphere which is really abnormal because it is usually in the dominant hemisphere and I am right-handed! That makes it so much easier for the surgeon and all of the my seizures come from the left temporal lobe so the surgery should be a success! The only thing that it might affect is my short-term memory. I can cope with that though. I think that the outcome is well worth the risk and inconvenience. I have an extremely supportive family and a husband who loves me dearly. For now, all I can do is wait and then before you know it, I will be going to the hospital to be admitted. I will keep you all updated! Chumtochatwith

Comments

Re: left temporal lobectomy being done in June 2006

Submitted by ladybug on Fri, 2006-05-19 - 19:17
Hi Chum, I don't think you're crazy! If you are, then we BOTH are! I'm going through the process of seeing if I'm a candidate for surgery and I'm praying that I am. I've had E for almost 25 years and am ready to get this under control or stopped. Meds aren't working for me and believe me, we've tried a lot. I too have a supportive family and husband. GOOD LUCK and I pray the surgeons have steady hands. :) Ladybug

Re: left temporal lobectomy being done in June 2006

Submitted by solis on Fri, 2006-05-19 - 23:14
Hi Chumtochatwith, After 49 years of coping with E (11 of which were controlled) I had a 'fronttotemporal crainiotomy/selective amagadaliahippocampdectomy' (= left TLE surgery) last January. Thus far I've been seizure free, but there is always a portion in any eliptosurgery that doesn't respond. Some of may now respond to meds, and there's a small portion that doesn't have any change in seizures after surgery. "My doctors are very positive about the outcome of the surgery and my neurologist thinks that I will be able to come right off of my meds afterwards" Doesn't sound like he is an epileptologist (a neurologist that specializes in E) While the brain heals, the drugs are needed and that usually takes up to two years. ~sol

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.